Partners Online Second Opinions (“POSO”) is a service offered by Partners HealthCare System, Inc. (“Partners”). It is intended to allow you and your Treating Physician to request an online medical opinion consultation (“Consultation”) with a Partners-affiliated physician.
Nature of Consultation Service:
The POSO service differs from in-person diagnostic services typically provided by a physician. The Partners-affiliated physician providing this service will not have the benefit of information that would be obtained by conducting an in-person exam of you and observing your physical condition. Therefore, the Partners-affiliated physician may not be aware of facts or information that could affect his or her opinion. In some cases, these facts may be critical to the opinion. You hereby acknowledge that you are aware of this limitation and agree to assume the risk of this limitation.
You further acknowledge and agree that:
- The Consultation that you and your Treating Physician are requesting is limited and provisional; it is not intended to replace a diagnosis generated following a full medical evaluation and in-person examination by a physician. No warranty or guarantee has been made to you concerning any particular result or cure of any condition.
- You will not have direct contact with the Partners-affiliated physician rendering the Consultation unless you decide to travel to a Partners-affiliated hospital or physician office for an in-person evaluation.
- Through the POSO website, Partners will make available a copy of the Consultation report to your requesting treating physician, whose participation you have requested and who has registered with POSO (your “Treating Physician”). You are hereby requesting Partners also make a courtesy copy of the Consultation report available to you; if you do not wish to receive a courtesy copy, please contact POSO at (888) 456-5003.
- Your Treating Physician will be responsible for communicating and explaining to you the Partners-affiliated physician’s opinion and recommendations. The Partners-affiliated physician is only rendering a Consultation and does not assume any responsibility for your continued medical care or treatment. Your Treating Physician will remain responsible for your treatment.
- Your medical information will be handled with strict confidentiality, privacy and security; however there are risks associated with any electronic transfer process from one location to another.
- You will not use the Consultaiton report in any legal dispute, including but not limited to litigation, arbitration, claim for diability benefits, claim for workers’ compensation and/or malpractice claims, without the prior written consent of Partners.
You have read and understand the information provided by Partners regarding the Consultation process and all of your questions have been answered to your satisfaction. You hereby give your informed consent to Partners to provide a Consultation.
Disclaimer and Release:
You hereby completely and irrevocably release Partners and its affiliates and their trustees, officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents, and Partners-affiliated physicians (collectively, the “Partners Released Parties”) of any and all errors and omissions, known or unknown, foreseen or unforeseen, knowingly or unknowingly, as well as all claims, actions or damages arising from or in connection with the Consultation, conclusions, diagnosis, or recommendations provided by Partners or Partners-affiliated physicians. Furthermore, you agree that the Partners Released Parties have no liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the medical information submitted to them or for any errors in its electronic transmission.
Authorization to Release Medical Information:
You acknowledge that, in connection with the Consultation, your physicians, clinics, hospitals and any other health providers may (i) release confidential health information regarding your condition to Partners and Partners-affiliated physicians and (ii) freely discuss, without limitation, your condition with Partners-affiliated physicians in connection with the Consultation. This information can include, but is not limited to, history of current condition, present complaints, and laboratory and any diagnostic data. Partners claims no obligation or responsibility to obtain additional medical records regarding your condition. You further acknowledge that, in connection with the Consultation, Partners will use and disclose your health information regarding the Consultation to your Treating Physician, including providing your Treating Physician your Consultation report. You understand that any disclosure that Partners makes to a third party, such as your Treating Physician, may or may not be protected by privacy laws.
If you do not agree to the above terms and conditions, Partners will not be able to provide you and your Treating Physician with a Consultation, but you always have the option of traveling to a Partners-affiliated hospital or physician office for an in-person evaluation.
, shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and exclusive jurisdiction and venue for any and all claims shall be Suffolk County, Massachusetts.